Friday, March 9, 2018

Six Years of Miniatures Part 3

Picking up where we left off in Part 2. I would say from here on out the progress is certainly more subtle but it is definitely there. I've spent the last 2-3 years trying to hone in and just practice at what I already do well so that I can do it very well in less time. There are still the occasional projects where I need to learn a new technique or paint with a new color but they are much less so now.


Late 2014:
This one doesn't have any new colors or techniques really but sort of represents a practice makes perfect mentality as it's all the same colors I used back on my first Protectorate models but implemented much better.

2015 was a year I spent finishing a ton of projects. I had a lot of unpainted miniatures around and I did a lot of what I call "quick and dirty" paint jobs on rank and file Warhammer models. As such my painting skill progression has a little less to show. But there are a few notables.

Early 2015:
Again another example of progression with a lot of the same colors I'd used on my first Legion of Everblight models


This next one was the first large miniature I'd ever painted and it was an exercise in patience to get through it. I also employed a custom made ruined base and a magnetized, reposed dragon.



Late 2015:
I'm throwing this one in since there were a couple things that I tried here that I'd never done before. I tried to achieve a muddy water effect as well as creating a harbor dock type basing. I also tried my hand at a rust effect for the first time.



Early 2016:
This was the first model I used an airbrush on to achieve a gradient of colors and is also an example of progression with a lot of the same colors that were used on my first Legion beasts. 


Mid 2016:
My second large scale miniature and continuing to hone my skills with at this point long time techniques, colors, and recipes.


Late 2016:
My technique and process has changed in how I achieve the ice effect on my bases.


2017:
This year was a little bit of a slower year. I spend a good bit of the first half of the year on speed painting board game minis, a few commissions, building terrain for 40k games, as well as building an ice themed table for warmachine/hordes games. I also took a little bit of a hiatus for a couple months where I didn't really paint much.

Late 2017:
Towards the end of the year I got back into the swing of things with a commission with some colors I hadn't worked with in a long time.


and catching up on a few Legion models that needed done.


Early 2018:
Finally, this last entry brings us up to where I am now. I had always wanted to paint this model and in some ways I'm glad I never got around to until now.




So, just to wrap things up. Let's just do a couple side by side comparisons here for fun.

 Late 2011   

Early 2017

        
             Mid 2012             

Mid 2015





Early 2014


Early 2018



No comments:

Post a Comment