Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Legion: Annyssa Ryvaal

Been using this model a lot in my Twins list to great success. She's an expensive solo to include in a list at 8 pts but she sticks around all game, consistently contributing every turn. It's also a great looking model and I now try and squeeze her into a lot more lists then I used to.



Friday, October 27, 2017

Legion: Absylonia, Daughter of Everblight

It's taken me shamefully long to get this model painted and get some table time with Abby 2 lists. It's a great model and was easy to paint.



Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Legion: Saeryn & Rhyas Talons of Everblight

Over the last couple months I've been putting these two on the table quite a bit and have been having a blast playing them. It's taken me way longer then it should have to get them painted. Glad to have them done but pretty disappointed in the quality of these miniatures. Privateer Press is just so hit and miss with their quality. These models are even among the relatively new for them but they are just nowhere near as good as say Fyanna 2. There is next to no detail in the face and detail in other places on the models is very soft instead of well defined.

Anyways, they are finished and they look fine on the table but are far from my best work.










Thursday, September 28, 2017

Commission: Khador Greylord Forge Seer

Painted this model up for a local player as prize support for an event I ran over the summer. Cool model and fun to paint. Don't do commission painting often but it's always fun to try something new once in awhile.



Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Warhammer 40k: Scratch Built Space Marines Razorbacks Part 4

Finally, wrapping up this project.... well mostly. I still have one more tank to finish actually.
In Part 3 I had wrapped up all the building, casting, and assembling to complete 3 tanks. Without further ado, here is the finished product. As mentioned in previous posts all the weapons are magnetized so that they can be swapped out for assault cannons or heavy bolters.


I've mentioned before in most of my posts on 40k models that this is not my primary miniatures game. I've got plenty of other models to eat up way to much of my time to paint so I decided some time ago that my 40k stuff would be speed painted in a simple scheme. This is still the case for these. However, I think they look pretty good for some thrown together foam core and plastic for sale signs.





This mostly concludes this 4 year long project. Like I said before I do have one more tank all ready to put together as well as the original GW kit that I'll get to at some point later this year, probably after getting some other projects finished. Until then I guess I should try and get a game of 40k in soon.

Friday, September 22, 2017

Warhammer 40k: Scratch Built Space Marines Razorbacks Part 3

In Part 2 we covered casting the weapons loadouts for the tanks. In this part everything comes together and I now have 3 scratch built razorbacks ready for paint. I have one more tank that I'm still working on. 90% of the components are already made. I just have to put it all together. I'm also working on putting together the original kit as well so once I'm finished I'll have 5 in total. So, without further ado here's what I have.





As you can see I "stretched" some of the bits from the kit to add a few more finer details to each tank. All the weapon loadouts are magnetized and can be swapped out from tank to tank.

The next tank below is the first tank that I worked on in Part 1 and is a little different from the other two. Specifically, the side sponsons were scratch built instead of cast.


Next steps are to get some paint on these! Part 4 will wrap this project up with the tanks all finished up.

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Warhammer 40k: Scratch Built Space Marines Razorbacks Part 2

Continuing on with part 2 of this post to address the weapon loadouts needed for the tanks. So, the basic shapes of the tanks are pretty boxy, angular, and consisting of mostly straight line; relatively, easy to recreate. However, the weapons loadouts like the twin lascannons are a little bit harder to build out of foamcore and plastic. When I started this project a I picked up an actual Games Workshop Razorback kit to use as reference for my scratch built tanks as well as providing some of the smaller bits to cast.

A few years back I picked up a product that I've used so many times to great effect called Instant Mold. This is a fantastic product that when heated in hot water becomes soft and malleable like clay but cools to a nice finish like hard rubber. This material is perfect for creating quick and relatively easy press molds for casting just about anything. Instant Mold makes up the mold and I use Milliput as the casting material.




Below you can see a freshly cast lascannon. It's not perfect, the process is very elementary, and the detail is somewhat diminished. However, once it's cleaned up and painted, it can be tough to tell the difference sometimes. Also, like all cast pieces there is flash to be removed.



For the assault cannons I cast the end of an assault cannon from a Space Marines Terminator model.




I ended up casting several pieces. I cast multiple lascannons, assault cannons, and heavy bolters as well as the side sponsons and top hatch pieces. This was somewhat time consuming as I only had a limited amount of Instant Mold to work with so I could only cast so many pieces at once.


Everything will be magnetized so that it can be freely swapped out for a different weapons loadout. The assault cannons will end up using the heavy bolters as a base which is why the front barrels have been cut off.

That wraps up this part 2. In part 3 you'll see what the tanks look like completed and ready for paint. I'll leave you with a shot of some of the scratch built components and the cast top hatches and a side sponson.