Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Imperial Assault: C3PO and R2D2

Finished these two quite awhile ago but just getting around to posting them. Been doing a lot of speed painting lately as it's a therapeutic break from high quality, detail work.

Monday, August 28, 2017

Warhammer 40K: Space Marines Bike Squad

Working on getting my modest Space Marines army painted. These are six bikes from two Dark Vengeance starter sets from last edition. Again, sticking to my process for speed painting that I've employed for my space marines. These are just base coated and washed in a heavy black of my own recipe.

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Warhammer 40K: Space Marines Dreadnought

After doing the conversion to make this model have a dual autocannon weapons loadout, I took a little bit of time to get it painted up. It was a little bit of time too. This was one of the quickest and easiest models to paint. Only took me about an hour. For a speed painted model it looks pretty good on the table which is all I'm going for here.

Friday, August 18, 2017

Warhammer 40k: Space Marines Dreadnought Autocannon Conversion

With the drop of 8th edition the dual twin autocannon loadout for dreadnoughts has been very popular and for good reason. I've had two dreadnoughts for quite some time that came in the Assault on Black Reach set from a few editions ago. Decided to do a little cutting and scratch building to achieve the appearance of twin autocannons.

First I used a hotwire cutter to remove the previous weapon loadout on both arms. Using some round sprue from Malifuax models and a bit of brass tube and we're done.

Here you can see a side by side comparison of the original and the converted model.

All in all a very simple conversion and doesn't take all that long.

Monday, August 14, 2017

Legion Archangel WIP

This model is one of the best sculpts that Privateer Press has ever produced. I've wanted one for years but the model's rules in MK2 were pretty terrible. However, it's MK3 rules are pretty solid so I finally picked one up.

I've since stalled on this project, regrettably I've been pulled away to other projects. Hoping to get back to it soon to finish.

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Ice Themed Table for Warmachine & Hordes

Ever since I started my Legion army a few years back I've often thought of building an ice table complete with terrain, zones, and flags to match my ice based Legion army. Well, I finally got around to doing and I'm really pleased with the way it turned out.

The base of the board is just foam insulation board that I purchased at Lowes. You can pick these up in 2' x 8' or 4' x 8' sheets. I cut a 2' x 8' sheet in half to make my 4' x 4' playing surface.

First steps involved creating some texture on the board. I started with a small tub of spackle and applied it unevenly to form some raised areas on the board. I also created a few crater like areas on the board.

In order to create some additional texture as well as seal the board, I used a mixture made up of Elmer's glue, snow flock, and water and painted the mixture onto the entire surface. This combination gives a nice texture to the board but is still relatively soft unlike other boards that use sand to create texture. I also created a good mix of terrain to match the board primarily out of again insulation foam or foam core board. (I don't have any pictures at this stage.) 

After the texture mix on the board dried, I painted the whole board using white Kilz paint to give all areas of the board a uniform shade before applying any other paint. I then coated the whole board in a light blue color.

The process for painting the board and terrain pieces was relatively simple and is pretty much identical to how I've done ice effects before with the exception of the use of crackle paint. Check out one of my previous tutorials here. Basically I just started with a base coat of a light blue color and dry brushed up a couple layers to pure white. 

The zones were cut out of canvas and work perfectly.

The last steps involved filling the crater like spots on the board with clear crackle paint. Once that was dry, the board, terrain, zones, objectives, and flags all got two coats of clear coat. Lastly, I added a bit of snow flock sparingly on various spots of the board and terrain.

All done and ready for play!

Friday, August 4, 2017

Warhammer 40k Terrain WIP

With the latest edition of 40k dropping recently I've been taking a break from Warmachine to play some 40k. However, most of my terrain is geared towards WM games and just doesn't lend itself well to games of 40k. So, I've been building a lot of terrain for 40k use in an effort to be able to nicely fill a 4x6 table.

Just using black foamcore mostly and a hot glue gun here but the results look pretty decent. I did texture some areas using snow flock. A little bit of flat black and some highlighting with gray primer and its mostly done. I'll still spend a little more time on these doing some drybrushing and picking out a few other details.

Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Circle Orboros: Commission Part 4

Wrapping up the commission work with a couple Circle Warlocks. It was a nice change of pace but I'm definitely ready to get back to some of my own work again.

Una 2

 and Morvahna 2