Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Ice Themed Table for Warmachine & Hordes

Ever since I started my Legion army a few years back I've often thought of building an ice table complete with terrain, zones, and flags to match my ice based Legion army. Well, I finally got around to doing and I'm really pleased with the way it turned out.

The base of the board is just foam insulation board that I purchased at Lowes. You can pick these up in 2' x 8' or 4' x 8' sheets. I cut a 2' x 8' sheet in half to make my 4' x 4' playing surface.

First steps involved creating some texture on the board. I started with a small tub of spackle and applied it unevenly to form some raised areas on the board. I also created a few crater like areas on the board.




In order to create some additional texture as well as seal the board, I used a mixture made up of Elmer's glue, snow flock, and water and painted the mixture onto the entire surface. This combination gives a nice texture to the board but is still relatively soft unlike other boards that use sand to create texture. I also created a good mix of terrain to match the board primarily out of again insulation foam or foam core board. (I don't have any pictures at this stage.) 



After the texture mix on the board dried, I painted the whole board using white Kilz paint to give all areas of the board a uniform shade before applying any other paint. I then coated the whole board in a light blue color.





The process for painting the board and terrain pieces was relatively simple and is pretty much identical to how I've done ice effects before with the exception of the use of crackle paint. Check out one of my previous tutorials here. Basically I just started with a base coat of a light blue color and dry brushed up a couple layers to pure white. 



The zones were cut out of canvas and work perfectly.


The last steps involved filling the crater like spots on the board with clear crackle paint. Once that was dry, the board, terrain, zones, objectives, and flags all got two coats of clear coat. Lastly, I added a bit of snow flock sparingly on various spots of the board and terrain.

All done and ready for play!