Monday, April 28, 2014

Protectorate Redeemer

I've been playing with this model for over a year now and that entire time it's had a pretty mediocre, table top paint job. It's one of just a couple models from last year's Machinations league that I had yet to go back to and bring the paint job up to snuff. For as much as this little jack makes it into my lists, it ought to look like it belongs there. So, I finally gave it so more love.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Legion Raek

I really like this model and was looking forward to getting it painted. Though it doesn't see a ton of table time, I do really like it with Saeryn and I try to squeeze it in in other lists if I can.

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Second Angelius

Trying to catch up on posting for models that I've painted recently. Here is my second Angelius. I decided to not attach the smallest set of wings as I think the model looks better without them. I ended up using them for my Harrier conversion that you can see in my previous post.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Scars of Caen: Charsaug League

     Last year Privateer Press offered the three seasons of Machinations league organized play. My LGS and pressganger organized two of those seasons and I painted  and played a lot in the first season, Umbra. I didn't really set out with any kind of intention to win but I was doing pretty well with my game points and was doing some painting as well. About half way through I thought I could really have a chance at winning if I can get some more painting done. So, I crammed a bunch of painting into a short amount of time but ultimately lost the league by 3 points.
     This year Privateer Press has put together the Scars of Caen seasons and we just finished up the first season, Charsaug at my LGS, Clockwork Comics in Orange, CT. This year the league was setup so that players chose one of two different league factions, Purist or Opportunist, each with it's own different benefits and rituals (league point bonuses for completing various goals throughout the league). I went with Purist and formulated my plan for completing rituals. I also planned out my purchases ahead of time and made a strategy for maximizing my painting points and being sure to have all my models assembled and ready for paint on day 1 of the league. I managed to max out on hobby points minus the 12 points (4 pts per model) that were available for painting 3 huge base models. Here's the breakdown of what I painted over the course of the league plus a couple extra models that couldn't count towards hobby points.


Heavy Warbeast/jack
Avatar of Menoth

Light Warbeast/jack

Units: 4 or less
Gobbers Crew
Aiyana & Holt
Black Frost Shard

Units: 5 or more
min. Errants
min. Forge Guard
Ogrun Warspears

Spell Martyrs x3


     I estimate I spent around 80-90 hours assembling and painting. Between being committed to playing my games every week and all the painting I was able to rack up 147 league points and win the league for Purists and overall league points as well. I had a really great time participating in the league and I want to thank my wife for letting me take all that time painting and spending a bunch of our cash on models. I also want to thank our local Pressganger, Andrew for organizing and running the league.

And finally here's a pic of all the models I painted up over the course of the league.

 For those who've been following the progress of my Avatar conversion, this is a teaser as the model is painted to a table top standard but I will be taking my time putting the finishing touches on it and several other models before I call them "finished", properly photograph them, and post them up here.

Monday, April 21, 2014

Legion Shredder to Harrier Conversion Finished

Catching up on my blog posting as I have been painting a lot in the last month for the Hordes Scars of Caen: Charsaug league but haven't been posting everything. Trying to keep my hobby points under wraps until the league is over.
Happy with the way this little guy turned out.

Friday, April 18, 2014

Avatar of Menoth Conversion WIP: Ready for paint.....finally

     This has been one of the mostly lengthy conversions I've done. I'm finally calling it done no ifs, ands, or buts. I ended up adding some material and side panels to the midsection so that it blends into the upper torso making the pipes/struts in the middle not look so long.

The shield came out pretty good but I will have to come up with something to spice up all the extra open space on it.