Monday, May 21, 2012

First Protectorate Models Painted

     Spent a fair amount of time thinking about what color scheme I was going to go with for my Protectorate force. I had decided that I definitely did not want to go with the white stock studio scheme. I wanted my army to have a more repressive, regime, religious zealot feel to it and less holy holy holy, lawful goody, paladin, etc. I ended up settling on a primarily black, red, and gold scheme. I had also decided that I was going to take my time painting these models and try and improve my painting skills along the way. I did spend my time on them and practiced different techniques for applying paint, using washes, applying highlights, determining shadows, etc. I wasn't sure exactly how to paint black, shade/highlight it, and make it look good. I read up a fair bit on this and eventually after some trial and error came up with a pretty good system for painting black. I also labored over getting just the right shade of red. I wanted a deep scarlet red. In the end I'm very happy with the way my first models turned out.