Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Wracks

These were an experiment in painting a rusty effect. I wasn't sure how I was going to do it and experimented a little to try and get this effect. I painted the actual wracks and the figures on them separately, pinned the figures at the cuffs at their hands and feet, then glued the figures and wracks together after everything was painted. I used super sculpy to make the dirt mounds.
 I started by  basing the wracks in a bright silver, then applied chestnut ink to the whole model. I then made a wash using doombull brown and future floor polish and washed the whole model. I applied two more washes to just the crevices and low areas of the model mixing in a little bit of blazing orange the first time and a lot of blazing orange for the second wash. Lastly I went back and drybrushed very sparingly with silver. I think the effect came out well.