Thursday, October 29, 2015

Cryx: Dock Basing Test

I purchased the Cryx all in one box when it first hit over the summer. With a Journeyman League starting up at my LGS next week, I'm getting around to planning my scheme. This will be my third Warmachine/Hordes army and I'm trying to incorporate a new theme into each army. For this army I wanted to come up with a dock/harbor basing scheme. I've never done this kind of basing so I'll be experimenting a lot to see what works.
For the wooden dock I'm going to try using stamped putty pieces that I made using the happy seppuku base stamps I have. This is my first test base that will be used for my nightwretch and will be filled in with the water effect that I end up settling on.




I did a fair bit of research into different water effects and decided to try 2 part epoxy glue as my water effect first since I already had some for other applications. I'm trying to go for a muddy, murky water. Here are a couple examples of what I've come up with so far.
The first test has the base painted a greenish brown and a little bit of chestnut ink mixed into the epoxy.




My next two tests has a similar under paint but this time I mixed a little nuln oil wash into the epoxy for one half of the base and agrax earthshade wash onto the other. The difference is subtle and the camera has a little bit of a hard time picking it up.




I'm kind of thinking somewhere in between the first test and this last one is what I'm shooting for. Let me know what you guys think or if you have any suggestions.


No comments:

Post a Comment