Going back a few years ago I started scratch building a few tanks but never got around to finishing any of them. The pics below were taken 4 years ago when I first started the project. I used foamcore as the skeleton for the basic shapes needed and thin plastic sheet will cover the entire models to give it a nice finish.
To get started first the two sides for each tank were cut from foamcore and then covered in plastic sheet on both sides.
Then using a top, bottom, and the two sides everything is glued together to achieve the basic shape of the tank.
At this point I started in on trying to get one complete by getting the sides cut out of thick sheet plastic.
This is as far as I got on one tank when I stalled out on the project.
Now fast forward over 4 years later and after sitting around buried in a box in my closet, I'm finally getting back around to them. Here's a little teaser for what's to come in part 2.
Here is the original link from 4 years ago.