Friday, March 9, 2018

Six Years of Miniatures Part 2

After doing a post showing off my display of miniatures in Part 1, it felt appropriate to do a post logging my progress as a painter and hobbyist.
The first couple years I think are particularly interesting as my improvement was exponential nearly every time I started a new model so vast improvement is seen in just the first year, really.


Late 2011:
This miniature goes back to late 2011 when I decided to dig out my Warhammer Battle for Skull Pass box and start painting up some dwarves. 


Early 2012:
My next efforts were trying to utilize the fabled dip method for quick results that looked half decent.


Mid 2012:
My first efforts of actually learning how to paint fell on my first Warmachine models. I found a few recipes that worked and first started learning how to paint black which is a tough one.



Early 2013: 
At the time I felt like I really leveled up with this model. There were a lot of firsts on this one. I was getting better at shading reds and gold and this was also the first model that I employed using blues instead of greys to highlight black. This was the first model I tried for a glowing fire effect in the eyes and vents. First model that I ever magnetized. First model I did conversion work on (repose and torso extension). Finally, first model where I made a custom base for it.


Mid 2013:
There was always that next thing to paint that I had an idea for or an effect I wanted but didn't know how to do it but I'd always figure it out. This next model was one of those where I wanted to figure out how to do a marble look for stone as well as tarnished and oxidized metal.


Early 2014:
I started a new faction in Warmachine/Hordes, Legion of Everblight. A lot happened here. I spent a ton of time trying out different color combinations and recipes for the effects and scheme I was going for. The blue/green skin for the dragons, pale blue/gray for the elven skin, blue glow, fire glow, reposes, and learning ice effects.



I also started to learn how to wet blend this year


 Mid 2014:
I started playing around a bit more with source lighting


Well, this post is starting to get pretty lengthy so I'll pick up the rest in Part 3 I think.

Check out Part 3 here




No comments:

Post a Comment